Loading...
News Updates:

Gauteng allocates R100m for floods damaged houses

Gauteng allocates R100m for floods damaged houses
16-03-14 / Staff Writer

Gauteng allocates R100m for floods damaged houses

Speaking to media before meeting with the affected residents in the north of Pretoria, the Premier said the funds, aimed a repairing damaged houses, windows and asbestos roofs, was targeted at those residents who were mostly poor and dependent on grants to sustain themselves. She said those who had been left highly exposed due to the storms would be prioritised.

The Tshwane Metro Municipality declared a state of disaster in Soshanguve and Mamelodi in December last year after severe storms caused extreme damage to homes and left residents stranded At the time, the damage was estimated at R100 million.

On Sunday, the Premier said a team had been set up to work with the City of Tshwane to replace the asbestos roofing at the houses.

";After the heavy thunderstorms that engulfed the province late last year, various municipalities had to put their heads together and do an assessment as to what exactly has happened in the province."

"One can safely say that City of Tshwane, like all municipalities, did an audit and we now know that we have got more than 40,000 houses that were affected here in the City of Tshwane that required intervention," she said.

She said most homes were owned by indigent child-headed families.

The project, which will be administered by the province's Human Settlements Department, will consist of two phases.

"We will start first with those that are highly exposed, then in the long run, we want to remove [all asbestos roofing] in the province because it is a health hazard. There is already a decision that has been taken in the courts in 2010 that it not healthy to provide roofing through asbestos" she said.

The Premier said a service provider had already been identified to start work on the project, which is expected to begin on Monday.

She could not pre-empt how long it would take for the project to be concluded.Premier Mokonyane also addressed hundreds of residents who had gathered at a marquee in Soshanguve Block H.

She said government would work hard to ensure that citizens are well looked after, especially at times where they find themselves stranded due to unforeseen circumstances.

Source: SAnews.gov.za

Leave a Comment